Dr. Claire Hayes is a consultant clinical psychologist, lecturer, author, researcher and a former Clinical Director of Aware. She has over 30 years experience and her particular interest lies in helping people to understand their stressors and to learn practical, evidence-based ways of coping using psychoeducational cognitive behavioural approaches.
1998-2001 Dublin City University Ph.D.
1992-1994 University College Dublin M.Psych.Sc. (Clin.Spec.)
1990-1991 University College Dublin M.Psych.Sc. (Research)
1988-1990 University College Dublin Dip. Psych. (Hons.)
1983-1986 Carysfort College, Dublin B.Ed (Hons.)
- Interview with Marian Finucane, listen to the recording here
- Hayes, C. (2017). Finding hope in the age of anxiety. Dublin: Gill.
- Hayes, C. (2016). The professional’s guide to understanding stress and depression. Dublin: Institute of Chartered Accountants.
- Hayes, C. (2016). ‘How to be happy: Decide’. Five-part series. Irish Independent. Dublin. 24th November.
- Hayes, C. (2015). How to cope. The welcoming approach to life’s challenges. Dublin: Gill and Macmillan.
- Hayes, C. (2014). Depression in children. Irish Independent, 7th September, Dublin: http://www.independent.ie/life/family/parenting/six-tips-to-help-children-and-adolescents-who-have-symptoms-of-depression-30565115.html
- Hayes, C. (2014). Supporting teachers with depression. Irish Independent, 14th September, Dublin: Irish Independent 14th September 2014 http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/mental-health/depression-in-parents-can-be-difficult-to-spot-30582676.html
- Hayes, C. (2014). Supporting teachers with depression. Irish Independent, 21st September, Dublin: http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/mental-health/staff-room-can-be-a-very-lonely-place-for-many-of-our-teachers-30600654.html
- Hayes, C. (2013). Hope for people who have chronic pain and depression. In ‘Chronic Pain Ireland.
- Hayes, C. (2013). Helping adolescents cope with depression. The School Guidance Handbook. Dublin: NCGE http://www.schoolguidancehandbook.ncge.ie/docs/000008/helping-adolescents-cope-with-depression.pdf
- Hayes, C. (2013). Aware: A story of hope. Paper presented at the MacGill Summer School, 31st July, 2013.
- Hayes, C. (2011). A cognitive behavioural approach to helping people cope. In T. Devonport (Ed.) ‘Coping: Applying theory to Practice’. UK: Taylor Francis.
- Hayes, C. (2011). Please don’t mention that ‘stress’ word again. NAPD Executive Report, 6, 18-19
- Hayes, C. & Morgan. (2011). The role of counselling in guidance counselling. Report for the Department of Education and Skills.
- Hayes, C. & Stodart, J. (2009). Developing resilience in the face of death. Nuacht, Mid-Western Palliative Network No. 14.
- Hayes, C. (2009). Thoughts on Young People Setting Sail. Aware Magazine, July; 9-10.
- Hayes, C. and Murray, M. (2007). Report on the Consultative Process of the National Guidance Forum for the Minister for State and Enterprise and the Minister for Education and Science.
- Hayes, C. (2006). Stress Relief for Teachers: The Coping Triangle, UK: Routledge.
- Hayes, C. & Morgan, M. (2005). A Psychoeducational Approach to Preventing Depression and Anxiety. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, vol.34, 2: 111-121.
- Hayes, C. (2004). Prevention of Depression and Anxiety in Children and Adolescents. In K. N. Dwivedi and P.B. Harper (Eds.) Handbook for Promoting Emotional Well-being of Children and Adolescents and Preventing their Mental Ill Health. A Handbook. UK: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Morgan, M. & Hayes, C. (2004). Evaluation Report of the Dublin Suaimhneas Inner-City Prevention Project. Unpublished document for Department of Education and Science.
- Hayes, C. (2002). Helping Adolescents Cope: A Psychoeducational Approach. STAR 2002 Abstracts, 90.
- Hayes, C. (2001). Helping Adolescents Cope: A Psychoeducational Approach. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Dublin City University.
- Hayes, C. (2001). A Psychoeducational Approach to Helping Adolescents Cope. Unpublished manuscript, Research and Development Committee, Department of Education and Science.
- Hayes, C. (2001). A Psychoeducational Approach to Helping Adolescents Cope. Irish Educational Studies, 20, 97-106.
- · Hayes, C. (2000). Hope for the “Helping Messiah”. Journal of the Institute of Guidance Counsellors, 24, 3-10.
- Hayes, C. (2000). Key Data on Adolescence; A Review. In The Irish Psychologist, 26, No. 9, 127-128.
- · Hayes, C. (1999). “A Simple Approach to Coping with Stress”. In The Journal of the Institute of Guidance Counsellors, 23, 70-72.
- · Hayes, C. (1998). “Training School Counsellors – Book Reviews”. In Studies in Education, 14, no.1, 59-60.
- · Kendall, P.C., Chu, B., Gifford, A., Hayes. C. & Nauta, M. (1998). “Breathing Life into a Manual: Flexibility and Variety with Manual-based Treatments.” In Cognitive and Behavioural Practice 5, 177-198.